We here at the Pennsylvania Harm Reduction Coalition believe that internships are invaluable experiences for both the students and our organization. We hope to give interns the opportunity to be exposed to real life experiences doing public health, advocacy, and learning the inner workings of non-profit work.
The Pennsylvania Harm Reduction Coalition (PAHRC) is a collaboration between various organizations including treatment providers, harm reduction programs, medical entities, social service agencies, academia, criminal justice reform projects, activists, and ordinary people.
The mission of PAHRC is to promote the health, dignity, and human rights of individuals who use drugs and communities impacted by drug use. Recognizing that social inequity, criminalization, and stigma silence those affected most, we advocate for policies that improve the quality of life for people who use drugs, people in recovery, and their communities.
We’re seeking passionate and hardworking interns to help us further our mission here at the Pennsylvania Harm Reduction Coalition. This internship is an unpaid, remote position and we accept interns each semester: Summer, Fall, and Spring.
Before the start of the internship, we will be having an internship orientation day. Dates to be determined based on the semester you’re applying for.
Interns will receive training and support for their professional growth and development and they will have the opportunity to work closely with our team and executive director in one or more of the following areas:
Communications/Digital Media (actively seeking 1 intern for Fall 2020 program)
- Marketing - Assisting in the planning & development of digital marketing campaigns for a wide range of projects such as our HERO Initiative, our TOP Campaign, Law Enforcement trainings, and our Statewide Conference.
- Digital Advocacy & Communications - Creating content for email blasts & digital campaigns
- Social Media & Content Strategy - Generating ideas for social media content, as well as scheduling out posts via Buffer
- Website & CRM Management: Supporting our website & database management activities through our NationBuilder software.
- Optional skills: We are currently seeking someone with experience in video editing for social media.
Public Health/Social Work/Public Policy (currently FULL through Fall 2020)
- Advocacy - Assisting in PAHRC’s harm reduction advocacy efforts including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and assisting in the creation of materials, blog posts, and presentations.
- Policy - Assisting in campaigning initiatives, political communications, and advocacy for progressive harm reduction policies.
- Program Planning & Development - Assisting in the planning and execution of events and organizational development efforts
Ideal candidates should have:
- Relevant experience or education in the area you are applying for
- Experience in or a strong passion for harm reduction
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task & manage priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work flexible hours and exceptional time-management skills
- Since this is a remote position, self-discipline with an ability to meet deadlines on your own is crucial
We strongly encourage people with lived experience of substance use, incarceration, homelessness, and/or sex work; people of color, women, and members of the LGBTQIA+ communities; and people living with HIV/AIDS and/or hepatitis C to apply for internships with us.
How to apply
Our Public Health/Social Work/Public Policy internship program is currently full through the Fall 2020 semester. We are currently seeking a Fall 2020 intern for our Communications/Digital Media internship program. If you are interested in applying for this track, please follow this link to our application form.
If you have any questions, please direct them to Jessica Hessler at email@example.com