We here at the Pennsylvania Harm Reduction Coalition believe that internships are invaluable experiences for both the students and our organization. We hope to give interns the opportunity to be exposed to real life experiences doing public health, advocacy, and learning the inner workings of non-profit work.
The Pennsylvania Harm Reduction Coalition (PAHRC) is a collaboration between various organizations including treatment providers, harm reduction programs, medical entities, social service agencies, academia, criminal justice reform projects, activists, and ordinary people.
The mission of PAHRC is to promote the health, dignity, and human rights of individuals who use drugs and communities impacted by drug use. Recognizing that social inequity, criminalization, and stigma silence those affected most, we advocate for policies that improve the quality of life for people who use drugs, people in recovery, and their communities.
We’re seeking passionate and hardworking interns to help us further our mission here at the Pennsylvania Harm Reduction Coalition. This internship is an unpaid, remote position and we accept interns each semester: Summer (no longer accepting applications for Summer 2019), Fall, and Spring. Dates and deadlines for 2019-2020 is listed below.
Before the start of the internship, we will be having an internship orientation day. Dates to be determined based on the semester you’re applying for.
Interns will receive training and support for their professional growth and development and they will have the opportunity to work closely with our team and executive director in one or more of the following areas:
Public Health/Social Work/Public Policy:
- Advocacy - Assisting in PAHRC’s harm reduction advocacy efforts including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and assisting in the creation of materials, blog posts, and presentations.
- Policy - Assisting in campaigning initiatives, political communications, and advocacy for progressive harm reduction policies.
- Program Planning & Development - Assisting in the planning and execution of events and organizational development efforts
- Digital Media & Marketing - Assisting in various digital media projects such as graphic design, social media, digital communications, marketing campaigns, and website management.
- Strategy & Community Organizing - Assisting in the growth of our coalition through community outreach, recruiting advocates, and developing organizational growth strategies and initiatives.
Ideal candidates should have:
- Relevant experience or education in the area you are applying for
- Experience in or an enthusiasm for harm reduction
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-discipline with an ability to complete tasks without close supervision
- Ability to work flexible hours and exceptional time-management skills
How to apply
We strongly encourage people with lived experience of substance use, incarceration, homelessness, and/or sex work; people of color, women, and members of the LGBTQIA+ communities; and people living with HIV/AIDS and/or hepatitis C to apply for internships with us.
Dates and Deadlines
Application deadline: June 24th, 2019
Interviews conducted: Between July 1st-10th
Selections and notifications: July 15th
Application deadline: November 23rd, 2019
Interviews conducted: Between December 1st-10th
Selections and notifications: December 15th